Monday, July 21, 2014

"It's Raining Cupcakes" by: Lisa Shroeder

Are you a fan of cupcakes and treats? Have you been to a cupcake shop, or know what it's like from someone you know who has been to one? I am an extreme fan of cupcakes, and love trying out different flavors at local cupcake shops! What we may not realize as customers is that there is a lot of stress and hardship in running a business. This book; It's Raining Cupcakes, has it all-- from how yummy and delightful cupcakes can be, to people's different interests and desires, and how they choose to pursue them.

Isabel just wants to get out of Oregon. She loves where she lives, no question about it, but she would do anything to explore what life's like outside her little and rainy city of Willow, and the state of Oregon. When her parents decide to open a cupcake shop in Willow because of her mom's passion for baking cupcakes, she feels even ore trapped. Then, her best friend Sophie informs her about a baking contest, in which the winners with the best recipes get to go to New York for a bake-off which determines the winner. Isabel is very determined to go to New York and come up with a winning recipe. She and her mom have disagreement on what her recipe should be (even though her mom is not allowed to help), and Sophie, a person who wins practically everything is entering the contest too. Also, Isabel's mother has lack of self confidence, and feels like she cannot meet the needs of running a business. Isabel just feels like she will never be able to get out of Willow. What recipe does Isabel enter? Does she make it to New York? Read the book to find out!

My Thoughts:
When I read this book for the first time about two years ago, it instantly became one of my most favorite reads! I've always had an interest in baking and cooking, so this book interested me a lot because it had a lot of that in it. I recently re-read it, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it more the first time that I read it. That's probably because I didn't read as much YA back then as I do now, and because some books are just great for a one time read. I personally think that Isabel is a very well-developed character, and has a lot of personality to her. She works very hard, and perseveres. Those are very good and important qualities every person should have. I also love how so may characters in the book such as Isabel's father, Isabel's grandma, and Sophie encouraged and were with Isabel throughout her recipe journey in this book. Overall, I think this is a very nice book for girls in the 3rd-5th grades to read. I would rate this book 4/5 stars.

Note: If you read this book and are looking for something else similar to this, try Sprinkles and Secrets, which is also by Lisa Shroeder, or Stir it Up! by: Ramin Ganeshram.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment